Chemo Begins - Day 1

5/11/2009
Starting chemo today. Nurse tried two attempts in my left arm, finally got the IV in my right arm. This pissed me off. Got very frustrated and am not jazzed up about doing this. So, yeah, I'm having a moment of “aww shit!”. After the second attempt had the feeling that I was just going to walk out. Now starting to relax a bit and let things ride.

Keep going to the bathroom with all the fluids pumped in and drinking water.
Got here at 8:00am, about to leave at 1pm. (6 hrs). Tuesday - Friday should be about 3 – 4 hours.
This isn't bad. Not having any effects yet. Think I can drive myself. Going to leave the IV in for the next several days. Talk of a port. It is surgically implanted in the chest. I don't think I want to do that.

Had a cheese burger for lunch after chemo.

Went to the pharmacy. Still didn't have my Emend pack. Said they were getting it and would deliver to my house. 1 ½ hours later it was delivered. It is good to have a real pharmacy.

Walked with Toby and Melissa. Walking better, each day the leg/incision area pain gets less and less.

Feeling a little tired. Ended up falling asleep on the couch for about an hour while Tyler got Chipolte burritos for dinner.
Ate most of the burrito (they keep saying....eat when you can), and Tyler made an Orange/Banana smoothie. After the smoothie my stomach started to kind of feel strange. Not quite full on nausea, but enough to put me on alert. After a bit I decided to take the Campazine (the first anti-nausea drug to take/try). After about 30 minutes (and a lot of walking/pacing), my stomach felt better.
Went to bed and slept on/off. They also gave me steroids in one of the IVs and said I may have some sleeping issues. When I did sleep it was deep and don't remember any dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment